As an entrepreneur, you have a lot of things to keep track of. You have employees to manage, investors to please and inventory to oversee. In digital marketing, where shiny new opportunities seem to pop up constantly, it’s hard to know where to focus.
If you’re just starting out with your digital marketing strategy, these tips will give you a solid foundation.
- Know your audience. You built a successful business in part by understanding your customers’ needs. Don’t lose that attitude just because you go online. Content reigns supreme, even on the Internet. Even the best click-through tactic is ineffective if people don’t like what they see when they get to your site. Resist the urge to be all things to all people. You’ll get the most bang for your buck creating interesting content that is relevant to your target audience.
- Go mobile. 80% of Internet users own a smartphone and use it to search the Internet. And in 2014, mobile Internet users overtook desktop Internet users for the first time. When someone accesses your site from their smart phone, is it easy to navigate? Or is it so jumbled or slow to load that they go elsewhere? In an age of digital natives, companies that don’t have a solid mobile strategy in place will be overtaken by those who do.
- Understand the basics of search engine optimization (SEO). We’re willing to bet you used a search engine today. Perhaps one of those search engines even brought you to this article. About 48% of mobile Internet users start on search engines when conducting research, compared to 33% who start on branded websites. With smartphones overtaking desktop Internet use, a strong SEO strategy is a smart investment. Savvy entrepreneurs will develop a basic understanding of SEO and stay on top of big changes. Many search engines, like Google, even track trending searches for you.
- Don’t fall into the PPC trap. “Pay-per-click” advertising is one of the most confusing areas of digital marketing. Many companies find themselves wasting a lot of money on PPC ads without any understanding of what value it adds to their business. PPC is enticing because it provides a wealth of data, particularly regarding ROI. It’s also particularly attractive to smaller companies who don’t yet have the traction to turn up in the first page of organic search results. A good way to avoid “the trap” is to do your homework first. Research your business goals, target audience, and keywords before you start implementation and optimization.
- Work with professionals. People claiming to be “social media experts” are a dime a dozen.The wealth of free information leads to a lot of homespun, half-executed approaches. Unsurprisingly, this results in a lot of disappointed CEOs wondering why their efforts aren’t producing any results. Digital Marketing success lies in the skills of listening, communicating, and problem solving. Hire professionals with experience and the requisite skills to do a great job.
The best digital marketing programs use proven strategies to direct the right people to strong content. This is a process that requires sophisticated tactics and quality execution. For assistance, contact the Spin Creative team for a digital marketing consultation today.
In your experience, what should every entrepreneur know about Digital Marketing?